Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much did you make in your CF?
Issues > Message Board > Speech-LanguagePathologist.org SLP Issues
How much did/ do you make in your CF?
City?
Setting?

I was offered $57k in a pediatric setting in Houston. Good or bad?
I made 16K...
That was a few years ago. ;-)
16K???? What a joke!
I wouldnt accept such an offer. We are were more than the paycheck of a cleaning lady.
16k??
That must be a typo, a joke, or you took a job in a 3rd world country.
Guest_guest
16K is an insult! I made 16k 25 years ago as my first job out of college. (It was low then!) I certainly hope you didn't take the job.
$57K is awesome for CFY! I make just a little more than that in the schools after 20 years.
$75K, in So Cal working as an Indepedent Contractor for an agency!
$75K, but the cost living in CA is higher so it all balances out. Have to compare salaries to region.

75K is great!

But like someone said, the cost of living is probably higher. To the Inde. Contractor:
do you get benefits?
how is supervision as an inde. contractor?
I am the one who made $16K... did you all not read the rest of my comment?... "that was a few years ago"... meaning many years ago... about 25 years ago actually.
I am in my CFY in a Missouri public school and I make 33,000
As an IC, you cannot legally get benefits. All compensation is $$$. I got my own plan (around $150/mo) and set up my own retirement account. My CPA helped me with my taxes. It was so much easier than I thought!

My supervision would have been the same with this agency if I worked as an Ind. Contractor or employee. It made no difference. My supervisor worked for the district I was placed in.
36k, a couple years ago in Ohio public schools
Shig79
This is to the one who posted $16k....."Afew years ago" does not sound like 25 years ago!...afew years ago usually means 2-5 years ago...You really should have said ALOTA years ago!!
That's why she put the wink.gif... she was indicating sarcasm.

I was actually offered 18,500 in 1997 (how's that for specific?) Of course, that was terrible for any setting in any geographical area. It was a rural co-op that couldn't afford an SLP. I didn't take the job. I took a SNF job at 38,000 (a good offer at the time, not so much now). I only recently began to make over 45,000, but now I'm in a school. It's a nice switch despite not being the largest salary around here.

SLPnNYC
I was offered 65K for a CFY two years ago. I ended taking the position where I was getting paid hourly and made 75K that year.
QUOTE (Guest @ May 18 2007, 11:40 PM)
That's why she put the wink.gif... she was indicating sarcasm.

That was me, and yes, that is why I tried to wink ;-) wink.gif
Sometimes humor doesn't translate really well in message boards. wink.gif
HeatherDG
I started in the Florida public schools in 1999 for my CFY. I made $29,500 for the 1999-2000 school year.
Alison
Like several others have said, it is all relative to the cost of living in the Houston area. Take into consideration the commute from your home to the place of employment, factoring in traffic and gas prices and tolls (if applicable). Also factor in other things, such as the benefits, time off (vacation and sick), and opportunities for professional growth. That being said...

I did my CFY in DC 2 years ago and took a job that paid $50k plus a $5k signing bonus. The other "perks" included 3 weeks of PTO, 9 paid holidays, $1500 in continuing education, and a straight 8 hour work day (no holidays or weekends). Once I hit my CCC mark my salary rose to $60k.

Weigh all your options and don't just take a job based on the intial offer! $56k a year is great, but make sure it will fit your needs in the area that you live. Good luck!!
33/ hour in a SNF
56k is quite good. That is what I made for my CFY in a SNF 3 years ago. But if that is their first offer, there may be room for negotiations.
I made $70,000 right after grad school. This was in New York. The next year, my pay was increased to $75,000.
QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 15 2007, 03:43 PM)
I made $70,000 right after grad school. This was in New York. The next year, my pay was increased to $75,000.

Is this in New York City or the State? If it is the City, were you able to live comfortably?
How many years ago?
What setting?
QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 15 2007, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 15 2007, 03:43 PM)

Is this in New York City or the State? If it is the City, were you able to live comfortably?
How many years ago?
What setting?

I worked in a nursing home. I graduated grad school (Brooklyn College) in June 2005. I started working right away in a nursing home in Manhattan. The pay was great, but it's all relative. Before anyone starts comparing my CFY salary and their own, just remember that the cost of living in New York City is much higher than other cities.

However, I didn't live in Manhattan. I commuted from Brooklyn to Manhattan. I think in order to live in Manhattan, you have to be pulling in at least six figures just to make the insane rent there.
But even in Brooklyn, it's still more expensive to live there, than say, a mid-western city so yes, the salary was great but it doesnt stretch such a long way living in NYC.
That's interesting. My classmate was offered a job in a preschool for $48k in Brooklyn for her CF. It seemed rather low, and didn't take the offer. It seemed very low,but maybe appropriate for someone with a BA/BS.

What do you think?
rachel
I believe that jobs with the geriatric population pay much more than working with children. Why that is, probably because there is a greater demand for therapists to work in geriatrics. Most of my fellow therapists work with children. If schools have enough therapists to choose from, why should they pay so much? It's all about supply and demand. Geratric homes/centers don't have a pool of therapists to pick from, so they offer higher pay as an incentive to come work for them.
rachel
Also, one more thing I forgot to add.
Schools employ therapists for 10 months, it's not a full year job. Therapists working with the geriatric population usually do so for the full year. The pay will automatically be greater in a job that requires 12 months rather than 10 months.
Guest_MSgirl
I made $41,000 in the schools during my CFY.
I am currently a CFY making $50,000 in an adult outpatient clinic in the midwest.
About $42000 at a private special-needs preschool through an agency, no benefits, 1999, Boston. This was without my taxes taken out which I was TERRIBLE at doing myself. I lasted about 2 years before I insisted on being hired on with benefits by the school I was contracted with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.