Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What strategies to use?
Issues > Message Board > Speech-LanguagePathologist.org SLP Issues
I work in middle school and read a few times about using strategies. Could you tell me which strategies you use? Are there any good books available for these? I try to work on curriculum vocabulary....what strategies would work with this? Thanks!!
Here are some that you can teach the child to do in the classroom setting:

1. Request additional time when needed
2. Request cues, prompts, associative info
3. Ask specific questions rather than generic
4. Apply strategies taught in therapy that work to facilitate retrieval
5. Learn to state what you know, then the source of confusion
6. Tape record to provide repetition or permanent record of lecture
7. Learn to use rehearsal, paraphrasing, and writing key words to keep
processing on track
8. Be an active learner, rather than passive
9. Be patient; take your time and don’t give up or become frustrated
10. Seek out study buddies to check information

(Source: convention.asha.org/2004/handouts/handout_184800.doc)

Here are more:

Metalinguistic metacognitive strategies training to enhance auditory comprehension and memory such as:

Chunking of meaningful units

Verbal chaining

Mnemonics

Rehearsal/reauditorization

Paraphrasing

Summarizing

Comprehension check by asking for demonstration or paraphrase rather than
repetition of information

Impose external organization aids

Use multiple choice or closed set tests

Waive the foreign language requirement

Speech-language therapy focusing on receptive language and to build
lingusitc/metalinguistic skills

May benefit from dramatic arts, word games, rebus puzzles

(Source: www.lsha.org/images/2006convention/presentations/APD_Types.doc)

And some good explanations:
Auditory Memory Compensatory Strategies

Reauditoritazion: Have your child repeat what he needs to remember over and over again silently in his head.

Visualization: Often times, I refer to this as “making a movie in your head.” Have your child visualize what he will do or what is going to happen before he actually does it or before it actually happens.

Chunking: Chunking is when you group information in any meaningful way so there are fewer components for you to remember. For example, if your child needs to remember the following numbers: 1, 7, 4, 9 (4 components), he could make it easier by chunking the numbers together: 17, 49 (2 components). Another way to use chunking: when you need to remember that you need to buy the following at the grocery store: milk, apples, grapes, orange juice, Coke; you could chunk the items into categories (fruits and drinks) to make it easier. Grapes & apples, and milk, juice, & Coke.

Acting immediately: If the teacher were to say, “Color one flower red and color one flower blue,” the student should immediately take both his red and blue crayons out of the box so he no longer has to keep in his memory which colors to use.

Marking: If the student must color the petals of a flower in an A-B pattern using red and blue, he could put a small red dot on all the ones that need to be red and a small blue dot on all those that need to be blue. This way, the pattern is set, and the student can go on to coloring the petals the same color as the dot on it without reconsidering the pattern over and over again.

Observation: Encourage your child to think for themselves, but that looking at what others are doing can also be very helpful. When a child is stuck and doesn’t know what to do next, he can look at the teacher’s sample project to try to figure out what to do. He could also observe his peers.

Requesting repetition or rephrasing: Encourage your child to ask, “Could you please repeat that?” or “Could you say that in another way?”

Requesting assistance: Encourage your child to say, “I am stuck. Could you help me?” Better yet, have the child state the specific task that he needs help with (i.e., “I can’t get this paper folded correctly. Please help me.”)

To Do List: Making a list of what you need to do can be very helpful when your memory isn’t so great! If your child is too young to write words, he could draw simple pictures to help him remember what needs to get done.

Compiled by Debbie Coviello, Speech-Language Pathologist, Hubert Kindergarten Center

(Source: http://www.hudson.k12.ma.us/schools_district/hubert/auditory%20memory%20strategies.htm

Hope that helps!!

Wow, thanks so much for all that wonderful information! I am taking note of it. This will really help me and I'm excited to put them into use!
You are very welcome! I had to do research to find out these strategies as well. They don't teach you these things in school! So I had the info saved on my computer so I can pass it on smile.gif Good luck!!!

How do you write these strategies into goals?
XXX will use the compensetory staretegies of _____________ (insert what is appropriate for the child) to assist in his ability to _____________________ (why does he need them? to follow multo step directive in the classroom? Follow classroom instructions?) in 4/5 opportunities.

However, you may want to make a short term goal (or long term if you fell it will take a while for the child to grasp) that XXX will demonstrate understanding of the compensetory strategies _________________________, by defining each one and giving examples of how to implement them when provided with an example situation with 80% accuracy in 4/5 trials.

Make sense?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.