Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> TSSLD, Can you obtain at bachelors level?
Guest_jb_*
post Apr 11 2007, 09:14 AM
Post #1

Guests

I am currently a bachelors level speech therapist in a PA school district and also do evening EI sessions. I have a year and a half of experience. Before speech/lang therapy I was a Behavioral Therapist and taught preschool. I don't have certifications at this point, I'm working here under emergency teachers certification. I'm looking into moving into NYC and am curious if I am able to be a bachelors speech therapist in NY school systems. I've come across information about Teachers of Students with Speech Language Disabilities. Do I need my masters to obtain this certification? I will be completing my masters online starting next summer. I am very dedicated to completing a masters program, as I eventually want to go into pediatrics. Are there options for me as a speech teacher/therapist in the NYC area without my masters? I would greatly appreciate any help/advice! If you have specific places of employment, I would gladly give you my email address. Thanks everyone!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
AndreaSLP
post Apr 24 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #2

Group: members
Member No.: 463

I did my undergrad in speech therapy with TSSLD certification and was able to work in a school setting before completing my masters. I had to do student teaching placements with SLP's in schools during my undergrad and apply for provisional NYS ed cert. Now that I am finishing my masters I will be applying for permanent cert. You have 5 years from when you get your TSSLD to complete your masters and get permanent certification. This is all if you did your undergrad in NY with the teacher cert. program. Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
Guest_Reba_*
post Apr 24 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #3

Guests

The rules have changed. You can take all the necessary TSSLD courses as an undergrad, BUT you still can not work in the school system with just a Bachelor's in NYC. The entry level position for SLP's in NYC is a Masters degree. SLPA's don't exist in NYC anymore. I believe that other states still allow SLPA's.

+Quote Post
AndreaSLP
post Apr 25 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #4

Group: members
Member No.: 463

Sorry....I didn't realize NYC and the rest of NY State had different standards. Up here in Upstate/Western NY we can work in the schools with a provisional certificate at the Bachelors level and must get Masters and NYS License within 5 years.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Speech-LanguagePathologist.org SLP Issues · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 02:39 PM