Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Open bite and Speech therapy ?, :-(
Guest_Guest_*
post Apr 6 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Guests

This nine year old student was referred by SST for error /S/ productions .On assessment she has an open bite and the air release could not be controlled.What is the best approach to treat this student ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Guest_slp_*
post Apr 7 2007, 07:28 AM
Post #2

Guests

Don't treat this student. You must have adequate oral structure to correct articulation. You will most likely be fighting a losing battle. You also need to recommend to the parent that the source of the open bite be investigated (i.e., thumb sucking or tongue thrust).

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Apr 7 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #3

Guests

I just dismissed a child similar to this. The previous SLP was seeing him and working on the /s/, but he had a significant open bite, tongue thrust, and was a mouth breather. I recommended that the family see a doctor to identify if there is a blockage (adenoids?), and an orthodontist to address the open bite, but they just said other people in the family are like that too so it's no big deal. I couldn't justify seeing a child who wasn't physically capable of forming the sound. Although the parents weren't happy, it was not in the child's best interest to keep asking him to do something that he simply could not do.

+Quote Post
holly
post Apr 10 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: members
Member No.: 316

In an ideal world, and extra income or good insurance, I feel that the allergist, ENT, Orthodontist , etc., even needs a good audio eval if mouth breather, should all be involved. In a poorer world where 1/2 of our children live, all of these may cost too much money. Is there a medical school within driving distance that could do a complete eval of everything.?? If you are the only resource (and I would be surprised if you were), then you can do a trial of artic therapy. I have asked ENt'S,TO DO a free evel or low-cost evel. Some will. Orthodontia can also be done when associated with a dental school. Start calling!

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Speech-LanguagePathologist.org SLP Issues · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 02:02 PM