Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Graduate School
britt1610
post Jan 12 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #1

Group: members
Member No.: 6,934

I am about to begin graduate school for communication disorders this fall, if I am accepted into the program at the College of St.Rose. I currently have my bachelors in elementary/special education...no prior experience academically, which is somewhat scary. But, I consider myself an intelligent and hardworking student. Can anyone describe their experience in during school to become a speech-pathologist...i.e amount of work, clinical hours, difficulty of the work itself, is it impossible to work part-time?..etc... Trying to get a feel for what I will be getting myself into.
Any suggestions are appreciated!!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
tarix23
post Jan 14 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,182

Hi,
I am actually in my last semester of grad school at Saint Rose....feel free to email me and I will answer any questions you have my email is jonest861@strose.edu
I am happy to help you out and answer anything I can![quote name='britt1610' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:04 AM' post='36591']
I am about to begin graduate school for communication disorders this fall, if I am accepted into the program at the College of St.Rose. I currently have my bachelors in elementary/special education...no prior experience academically, which is somewhat scary. But, I consider myself an intelligent and hardworking student. Can anyone describe their experience in during school to become a speech-pathologist...i.e amount of work, clinical hours, difficulty of the work itself, is it impossible to work part-time?..etc... Trying to get a feel for what I will be getting myself into.
Any suggestions are appreciated!!!!!
[/quote]

+Quote Post
hannahorozco
post Jan 19 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,184

I am currently in graduate school right now-I am smack dab in the middle of my first year. I am at the University of Tulsa and I know every school will differ some but overall I think the workoad is heavy and intense. That is not to say that I haven't found enjoyment in learning about my field because I am finding great fulfillment in gaining more knowledge. We have a student who came in as a music/voice major and she has done well-so it is not impossible, by any means to come in with a different educational background. I think you should expect to work hard and be committed while recognizing school is only for a season and the benefits on the other end are plentiful. I am also a graduate assistant on campus (20 hrs a week-part time) and while it is at times overwhelming, it is very worthwhile and still manageable. Financially my job is saving me from an overload of debt and I would encourage you to look for jobs on campus to save transport time and money. You should look to see if there are any positions open in your department. Best of luck to you!

+Quote Post
CeeCee
post Feb 18 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,214

Hi britt1610,
I am glad that I am not the only one. I, too, am about to begin my Masters in SLP, and my backgroud is quite different. My undergraduate and graduate degrees are nowhere close to SLP. I am actually trying to find a situation where I do not have to stop working (i.e. online programs), but I think that it might make more sense for me to go the traditional route first. I do intend to pursue the SLPD right after the MS, which I definitely intend to do online (perhaps at Novasoutheastern). Where are you planning on working on your degree?

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

CeeCee

+Quote Post
Blue
post Apr 9 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,226

Is anyone familiar w/ California State University Northridge's 3-yr completely online grad program? I plan to start there in spring 2010. Have you heard how competitive it is to be accepted? How rigorous is the program?

+Quote Post
Yoda
post May 22 2009, 04:47 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,321

I think you'll do very well considering your background.

I started grad school with 4 classes/12 credit hours and works 3 part-time jobs...I made mediocre, but passing grades that semester and was EXTREMELY stressed out. My instructors recommended that I either go to school part-time and work or go to school full-time and not work. I ended up dropping all but one job. I currently go to school full-time and only work one day/week tutoring. The vast majority of my finances comes from student loans (I did get a scholarship for the upcoming semester, however). I HIGHLY recommend taking out the loans and just focusing on school. If you can live with parents/relatives, that would be better too (I'm not in a position to do so because of location) and would save you $$$. This past semester I had two classes and my 1st clinical practicum. I spent all day Monday - Thursday and prob. every other Friday at school either preparing for clinic, studying for class, or researching for clinic. The good thing is, I did have time to rest on weekends. To me, school's like a full-time job in itself!

As far as the difficulty, I would say its rigorous, but not impossible. You have some classes that are challenging, and a few that are not too bad. I think it depends on your outlook and the amount of time one dedicates towards it....

+Quote Post
Guest_gloryforixseal_*
post Jun 18 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Guests

I have some great news I have recieved an e-mail from San Francisco State University saying that the department I applied to has recommended the graduate division that I be admitted for graduate studies. This isnt an official letter of admittance but the department has recommended that I be accepted. This is great news for me because its much more likely that I will be accepted into graduate school now that I have the departments recommendation that I be admitted. I am not sure how long it will take to hear from the graduate school division itself but I am thinking it may take a couple of weeks or so and I should hear from them. I will be admitted as a conditional candidate. This means that I will not have the full status of an official graduate student just yet but I will as soon as I complete 2-3 requisite courses. Upon completion, I just fill out a form and I will be an official graduate student. Yay

Matthew

+Quote Post
holly
post Jun 24 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 316

[quote name='Blue' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:09 PM' post='36715']
Is anyone familiar w/ California State University Northridge's 3-yr completely online grad program? I plan to start there in spring 2010. Have you heard how competitive it is to be accepted? How rigorous is the program?
[/quote]

Don't know about the online program, but the on-campus program is hard to get into and only accepts high GPA. There is also Cal State L.A. has an excellent program I'm told and promises a 2 year graduation if you attend the on campus program

+Quote Post
Blue
post Jul 21 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,226

Holly, thanks for replying. I got the impression from the CSUN orientation mtg I went to last month that it will be hard to get in & my grades for the several prereq courses I've taken aren't the best at all. Hopefully, in this economic state that the country's in, they'll accept people they normally wouldn't have because I'm sure they want that tuition money. Also, I'm really hoping that my having a Masters degree already in the field of Special Education plus 2 teaching credentials is what makes me stand out from the rest of the applicants.

+Quote Post
ai06pi
post Mar 3 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,030

Hello!
While doing some research i ran into this post. I am wondering if you were able to give me any insight or suggestions on the interview experience at the college of saint rose. i have my group interview on march 12 2010!

thank you soo much!

[quote name='tarix23' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:20 PM' post='36606']
Hi,
I am actually in my last semester of grad school at Saint Rose....feel free to email me and I will answer any questions you have my email is jonest861@strose.edu
I am happy to help you out and answer anything I can!
[/quote]

+Quote Post
unicorn
post Mar 15 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,081

Hey folks i have also one good news for you i got the admission letter from university of San- Fransisco

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Speech-LanguagePathologist.org SLP Issues · Next Newest »

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 05:05 AM