Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Middle School Language Goals, want opinions from fellow SLPs
Guest_Me_*
post Jan 17 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #1

Guests

I currently am in my CFY and working in a middle school setting.

I have spent a good amount of this school year straightening out the caseload and dismissing students, who in my opinion, should have been dismissed prior to me ever being there! (I of course do an eval so that I have data to prove this.)

There are still a handful of kids that I am confused about why they are on my caseload. The goals that are in their IEPs sound like this:

The student will write a complex sentence using a conjunction.

I totally understand goals that relate to language along the lines of synonyms, antonyms, figurative language, analogies, etc. Is it really in our scope of practice to be teaching students to write complex sentences?! I understand that it is technically a form of written language, but come on! You might as well call me a language-arts teacher at this point.

My day is spent teaching kids to write (which, ethically speaking, I do not feel comfortable doing since I don't have training in how to teach this!). Another area addressed in some goals is defining words. Again, yes, I understand that this is language based...BUT really?!

Where is the line that tells us what is in our scope of practice and what is not? You can take anything and throw it into the area of language (whether it be written, spoken, comprehended).

Does anyone else feel like students are thrown onto caseloads even though it may not technically be in our domain to help? What is the difference between an SLP and a language-arts teacher?

Maybe I am crazy, but I would like to think that there is at least a few other therapists who agree with me on this. Any thoughts on?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Guest_Guest_*
post Jan 19 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #2

Guests

These are in our scope of practice (but is seems as if almost anything and everything is these days). I do agree that in some districts there are way too many kids on our caseloads at the middle school level. Our county is currently working to reduce the numbers at the middle school and high school students, especially if they are getting LA special ed.

+Quote Post
Guest_SLP_*
post Jan 20 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #3

Guests

The conjunction goal would never be written on one of my IEPs. As far as written language goals, mabey. Written language is in our scope of practice but if it can be addressed by the teacher I wouldn't necessarily work on it.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Speech-LanguagePathologist.org SLP Issues · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 08:36 PM