Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Articulation Touch Cues
Guest_Jessie_*
post Dec 30 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #1

Guests

I am an SLP about to begin treating a 3-year old for a moderate articulation disorder. She is transferring to me from EI where they have been using touch cues to teach her correct placement. I was never trained in the use of touch cues and, where I normally work with older children, I have not needed to use them. I wondered if there are "universal" cues that everyone uses and, if so, where I could find a resource for that. Or...does everyone just make up their own?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Guest_Guest_*
post Dec 31 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #2

Guests

Was the previous speech therapist perhaps using PROMPT?

+Quote Post
phillyslp
post Dec 31 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: members
Member No.: 15

PROMPT has their own specific cues where the clinician manipulates the child's articulators.
I use the visual-tactile cues developed by Judy Jelm. I learned them in graduate school. I do them myself while producing the specific phoneme, and have the child imitate me.
Some of the basics:
touch your nose for the /n/ sound
index finger to the upper lip for /t/ and /d/ (encourages placement to alveolar ridge)
slide index finger across closed lips for /m/
touch "adam's apple" for /k/ and /g/
index finger to cheek for /b/ and /p/.

Overall, I find visual-tactile cues very helpful for little ones to improve articulation. Good luck to you

+Quote Post
Guest_Jessie_*
post Dec 31 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #4

Guests

Phyllis, thank you for your very helpful information. Two other sounds we will be working on are /s/ and /f/...could you tell me what cues I would use for those?

+Quote Post
phillyslp
post Jan 2 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

For /s/ (which I call the "snake sound"), I trace my index finger down their arm, or across the table while saying the sound.
I call /f/ the "bunny rabbit sound"and encourage them to place their top teeth on top of their lips.
I don't specifically target these phonemes with kiddos this young per se, but if the child has an /s/ or at least an approximation, I reinforce it indirectly with the "touch cues"

+Quote Post
spchtx
post Jan 2 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45

phillySLP- Do you have a web link for her, or a book that you have used. I'd love more info.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_guest_*
post Mar 17 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #7

Guests

phillySLP is it touch cheek for b and p or touch lip?

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Mar 18 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #8

Guests

On the /s/ sound, Hodson recommends using a short finger on the arem instead of using the whole are (ie., wrist to shoulder) because that tends to make kids OVER do the /s/ and draw too much attention. Instead, she recommends a shorter, softer /s/.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Speech-LanguagePathologist.org SLP Issues · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 05:02 PM