Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> therapy ideas
Guest_Heidi_*
post Jan 28 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Guests

:o Hi,

I just started working with a student who is in a life skills middle school class, however, he is VERY delayed and probably would better fit into an MDS class. He is primarily nonverbal, uses a Dynavox-4 device. Any ideas on what could be appropriate lessons for a middle school level? I worked with students with similar needs at an elementary level, but not this age. Also, he is also in a group with another student 1x/wk as well as his individual session. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.
Heidi
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Guest_timmuy_*
post Jan 29 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Guests

Not knowing anything about this kid's skills except that he's low functioning and nonverbal, I can only make a general statement. Whatever language is typically needed in activities of daily living is what I would focus on.

Think of the functions of language: making requests, asking for help, giving commands, expressing negation, giving compliments, receiving compliments, gaining a listener's attention, starting a conversation, taking turns in a conversation, answering questions (name, age, school, phone number), indicating when he is done with an activiity, making his personal needs known, indicating if and where he is in pain.

If you want to go a more academic route, you can have him answer questions about a story he heard, or do categorization activities, or learn basic vocabulary and vocabulary concepts.

I saw a post where they said that dynavox has a website. Maybe they have sample lessons or sample goals there, I don't know. It's worth a look.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Feb 5 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #3

Guests

Dynavox does have an excellent website, they even have free training, it's listed on website as to where they are being held. Talk to the parents to see what is motivating to the child, cartoons, superheroes, sports, tv shows, music, etc. Try to incorporate high interest activities, and ways he can participate with peers, turning on music with a switch, etc. Interview a peer, to find out current slang, high interest activities.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Speech-LanguagePathologist.org SLP Issues · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 04:27 PM